Monday 8 April 2013

Bars of Iron Can't stop Him


My current water walking adventure is centred on letting people know that  my book 'Its Just you and Me Lord' is being sold in Sam's Club. The motive behind this is to see the book in the hands of people who would never go into a Christian bookstore or order on line from the publisher.

When you look at it in the cold light of day, it seems a hopeless task – worse than looking for a needle in a haystack. I’ve never seen a Sam’s Club [we don’t have them in the UK] , but I gather that the goods are sold in warehouse type buildings and are stacked high so that sheer volume of sales will allow them to be sold at low prices.

‘How will a small gift book like ‘It’s Just You and Me Lord’ be found and make it’s mark in such surroundings?’ I ask myself in the middle of the night. I feel as hopeless as the disciple at the feeding of the 5,000, who said “We have only 5 loaves  .. and 2 fish … but what are these among so many?” But when they were handed to Jesus a miracle occurred.


I love the way that God speaks to us in our doubts and fears. Yesterday in Church, we had a reading from Is.45: 1 which seemed just for me:

 This is what the Lord says to his anointed … whose hand I take hold of … to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut;

I WILL GO BEFORE YOU AND LEVEL THE MOUNTAINS
I WILL BREAK DOWN GATES OF BRONZE,
AND CUT THROUGH BARS OF IRON.
I will give you the treasures of darkness
riches stored in secret places
so that you may know that I am the Lord
                                                 the God of Israel, who calls you by name.

These words were spoken to Cyrus, a pagan king who was being used for God's purposes. Without any disrespect to Sam's Club, it encourages me to think that God can use anything and anyone, for his purposes.


No comments:

Post a Comment